ldif-extract.pl - a grep like tool to easily extract and convert LDIF entries
It is a small tool written in perl that allows you to easily select and extract entries contained in LDIF files.
As such it is very similar to the famous 'grep' utility, however it is designed to deal with LDIF files.
LDIF files contain directory server information in a human readable format and is not line oriented, so
grep cannot process this very well. Also, attributes in LDIF files are sometimes encoded in UTF8/base64 masking
the real value to unspecialized tools.
What can it do?
It acts as sort of filter to LDIF files. You supply the LDIF file in question to the tool and it searches
its content to see if any entries match. If so, it prints the entries data unmodifierd to STDOUT (which you
usually redirect to a result file or to a pipe).
- grep compatibility Invocation and return codes are similar to grep.
- Unique selection options of entries allow to select matching entries very nice, especially
by the use of regular expressions
- LDIF2CSV: convert LDIF data of matching entries into (freely adjustable) CSV format
- Writing data to STDOUT allows you to postprocess the matching entries easily and in a flexible manner
- Platform independ because it is wiritten in perl - perl is available for many platforms and many
operating systems, including Microsoft Windows!
How does it work?
It is very simple since it runs from command line. Just download it and call it like you would call grep.
Calling it with the "-h" parameter even gives some more advice.
Additionally, you can find a more detailed documentation in the release package.
Where can i download this cool exporter?
You can download the latest development version from svn:
svn co https://svn.code.sf.net/p/ldif-extract/code/ ldif-extract-code
Or just download the latest file release from the project page at sourceforge!
Where can i report bugs or request new Features? What about project news and screenshots?
The Sourceforge project page hosts all that. Please
refer to the page for latest infos and for our forums and bug/features tracker.